The Amazon Kindle in a compact tablet that is equipped with amazing features. These features ensure smooth and uninterrupted reading for those who really like reading books. In the past few years, the number of Kindle models has increased exponentially, thus giving a plenty of options for the avid readers to choose the most suitable Kindle device. The market share of the Kindle has also grown over the years, and now, the situation is completely in the favor of the Kindle, as there is no company to challenge the company and its products. Amazon has also made arrangements over the years that the devices are updated with the latest software versions, so that any new feature that is being launched in the eReader market is available to the Kindle users. It doesn’t matter which Kindle model you are using, there is always a Kindle update that can take your reading experience to a whole new level. The details of the updates are clearly mentioned on the official site of Kindle.
Why is it important to update Kindle?
With the new development taking place over a certain period of time, it is important for the Amazon Kindle to blend that changes in a suitable way in the Kindle devices, so that their customers can stay up to date. This is perhaps the reason why so many updates have been provided by the company since the launch of the first Kindle device. These updates ensure better features and functionality to the users. The Amazon Kindle update is also necessary to keep the security tight on the devices, so that there is no data leaks or intrusion of any kind. Updating your Kindle as they come is important to enjoy all the features.
The brief history about Kindle updates
Amazon update its Kindle devices to make sure that they have all the necessary features that are required to make the reading experience a lot more fruitful. There have been a plenty of updates in all the devices, whether Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite and the standard Kindle model.
- Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation got its first update in 2010 and after that, there has been a number of updates. Right now, the device is updated on 3.4.2 or higher.
- Then, there is Kindle 4th generation, which was released in 2011. There has been many updates to this Kindle model, with the current one being 4.1.3. You can update your Kindle 4th gen from here.
- The Kindle 5th generation is also running on the same software version as that of the 4th generation, though it was launched in 2012.
- The 4th generation Kindle Touch was launched in 2011, and there has been many updates in this version. Now, it runs on 184.108.40.206 or higher.
- The Kindle Paperwhite 5th generation that was released in 2012 has also been updated many times. Now, it is running on 220.127.116.11. Whereas the 6th generation of Paperwhite that was launched in 2013 has also received a few updates and now, it is being run on 18.104.22.168. For Kindle Paperwhite update, you can click here.
- Different models of Kindle Fire have also been updated many times. The current software version of Kindle Fire update is 5.3.1, which you can download by clicking here. You can also click here to get the update.
Updating Kindle: How to do it?
It is easy to update your Kindle device, as the notifications of update appear automatically, so just click on the notification and update your Kindle. But, if you have missed the update deadline, then you can download the update manually as well. You require two things to download and install the Kindle update on your Kindle device. These are; a computer or laptop and a USB cable.
Step-by-step guide to update your Kindle
- If you are aware of the Kindle model you are using, then you can proceed with the next step, but if not, then you have to find out which Kindle model you are handling right now. Go check it out on the official Kindle website now.
- The next step is to find out the firmware. You can go to the settings menu and click on device info. You can find the firmware version there.
- Download the updates on your PC or laptop and then, transfer the files on your Kindle by connecting a USB cable.
- Once the files have been transferred, then you need to go to settings menu again and click on ‘Update my Kindle’ option. Your screen will flicker a few times, and you will see a progress bar as well, where you can find out how much time is left. You can update Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite and the standard Kindle version in this particular way.
- While installing the updates, make sure that only one update is installed at a time.
In order to enjoy a wide variety of features that a Kindle user does, you don’t have to necessarily buy a Kindle device. You can download Kindle app and get access to a few features that were only available to the Kindle users back in the day.
Here are the steps to download Kindle app on your smart device.
- Go to Amazon.com and search for Kindle app there.
- Once the right page is opened, you will see an option to fill your mobile number. You need to enter your mobile number of that smart device on which you want to install the app. There is a separate ‘download’ option as well, which directly do app for Kindle download the option. If you are operating the website on your smart device only, then simply click the ‘download’ option.
- After installing the app, sign in with your Amazon account or create a new one.